Late Spring

It’s hard to believe that it is late spring.  After an unusual two-week stretch of very rainy days (unheard of around here), summer has come on full blast.  It’s the worst time of year for so many reasons.  The heat, the humidity, the tropical storms/hurricanes…  But having a snow-free, ice-free winter is worth the trade-off.

The rib is still not better, though it *is* better than it was before.  So I still have plenty of time for stitching.  The silver lining to the dark cloud of broken bones!

DSCN6394

This was the freebie I mentioned last time, “Here Kitty Kitty.”  This fabric is Sage Jobelan.  Not that you can tell by my photo.  Photo woes have kept me from posting.  I can’t seem to get true color, no matter what setting I use.  I have a nice Nikon camera which does way better than my cell phone.  This issues are with the person taking the photos!

DSCN6391

The color isn’t even close, and every picture today was taken in the same light.  The fabric is Jobelan, Star Sapphire, which is a light greenish blue.  And the silk color is not close.  It’s a sunny day, and these were taken on the North side of the house with a south-facing door and two northern facing windows.  It’s a cheerful room…  but a dreadful photo.

The project is the 2017 SAL from Linens and Threads.  This is part of January, and I think it is going to stay this wide.  (The pattern shows three repeats.)  I am just trying to use up some old silk threads.  This particular one is VERY old.  I know I bought it at a store that closed in 2001.

dscn6387.jpg

This is “Grant House 1865” by Chessie and Me.  Yours truly started it in the wrong direction on the fabric, thus I had to leave the top section off.  I think I like it better this way anyhow.  This one was stitched on 32 count Belfast that I hand-dyed, with GAST and WDW threads.

DSCN6399

“Progress” on Mary Burgess.  Next to none.

DSCN6395

“Samplers” by The Scarlett House.  A finish!  🙂  On 36-count Edinburgh linen that I hand-dyed.  I loved working on this fabric!  I did have to change two colors because they weren’t showing up on my linen.

Rosanna Pinkham reproduction sampler by Sheepish Antiques.  After finishing “Samplers” yesterday, I picked up Rosanna as shown on the left.  Last night she looked like the photo on the right.  Pretty good progress!  The fabric is 32 count raw Belfast, which feels like 14 count after working on lots of 36 count pieces!

Two pieces of fabric that I hand dyed that I have for sale.  The one on the left is 25 count Zweigart linen, and the one on the right is 28 count Cashel linen.  🙂

I’m hoping to come close to a finish on Rosanna today.  According to USPS package tracking, my over-3-weeks-ago order of fabric is *partially* shipped and may arrive tomorrow.  Our mail doesn’t get here until the afternoon, so hopefully Rosanna will be finished by then and I may start something new.  My UFO pile is down to 8 pieces, and it normally is between 11 and 13.  Pretty good!  I guess a broken rib has its blessings.

Happy stitching to all!

Advertisements

May Update #4

I worked on John Hancock on May 10th and for a little bit today.  I have had painful fingers lately and stitching on this project hurts.  It is 32 count lambswool linen, which everyone knows is NOT my favorite fabric.  It requires a bit of tugging to get the needle through the very uneven weave, and when my joints hurt, it is just too much.

johnny
John Should-have-finished-by-now Hancock

Yesterday I picked at Home of the Brave too.

home brave

This one isn’t moving along as quickly as I would have liked either. I’m not crazy about either the blue or the green floss for this particular project.  At this point I am too lazy to change it out.

Yesterday’s start was Samplers by the Scarlett House.

samp

Not much progress here.  I am using 36 count linen that I dyed myself.  I love this pattern.  Samplers are my passion — not that you would know it by what I have been stitching lately.  I need to get back to it, particularly reproduction stitching.

We made our first trip out to the closest cross stitch store to our new home.  GPS said we would arrive in an hour.  But with the horrible traffic, it was an hour and a half.  My husband drove and we had our boys with us, since we planned on having lunch there.  The traffic was enough that I don’t know if I would ever go back, and bear in mind, this was a weekday in the middle of the day.

I was disappointed that the store didn’t carry any fabric higher than 32 count.  The charts seemed to be partially arranged by theme, and partially by designer.  I was never really sure what I was looking at.  They were mostly out of overdyed threads so I couldn’t get all the ones I need.  But I did like the store owners very much.  I am sure they are willing to do special orders.  I was just hoping to get some higher count fabrics and I am loathe to order any sight unseen, since I know I am not a fan of Wichelt and I actually didn’t like the 32 count from Picture This Plus either.  Gasp!  Yes, I said it.  Too tight a weave post-dyeing, means lots of tugging to get the needle through and lots of pain.  Strangely I don’t have this problem when I dye fabric myself.

I did pick up three charts.  Two by Plum Street Samplers, A Merry Hart and American Sampler.  One by With Thy Needle and Thread — Faith of the Heart.  I couldn’t get all the overdyed flosses for these never mind the Valdani thread (which I have never used.)  I can’t find a conversion chart for it either.  I’m not sure what I will do about that.

Stitching plans now are up in the air due to finger pain.  I should probably work on something on 28 count because of that.  Tomorrow is a “new start” day and having so many UFOs is starting to really bother me.  We’ll see if I stick to it until the end of the month!

Happy stitching!