Saturday was finishing day — these are the pieces that are finally finished.
Main Street Gazebo
Early Americans progress
I designed these and stitched them over the weekend. You can’t see “love” or “joy” because they are caught in the q-snaps. I am not sure how I will finish them. I had been thinking little pin pillows as gifts for my ever-changing weekly prayer partner at our ladies’ Bible study, but then I started to second-guess myself. What if she doesn’t sew? Now I don’t know…
After much time spent ripping out the right side, I finally finished this one! The *local* beeswax made a huge difference. The other beeswax was drier — this one was soft and not leaving chunks on the floss, and it made the Valdani thread stop shredding.
I also had a start but no photo yet. It is the Mary Burgess Sampler from the Essamplaire, which you can see here.
I have been working a little on Samplers from the Scarlett House. My “goal” would be to finish 2 UFOs before starting another project. I have 11 to choose from, which is so embarrassing. I’d really like to get the number DOWN — to 5 or less. I would feel better. Wish me luck!
This week was spent at the sewing machine (ugh!) and starting new projects. Here is the first one:
This pattern was in Just Cross Stitch magazine a few years ago, presented over several issues. It is a big one and I barely have it started.
I changed the word “excellent” to “majestic” since that is what my Bible says and one of my favorite Keith Green songs uses.
I hate the fabric. (More on that later.)
The second start is this one:
I love this pattern and the colors, but — I hate the fabric.
This is the same fabric on both pieces. It is Lambswool by Wichelt, and I have TONS of it. But I remember why I HATE Wichelt linen.
It is thick and thin, which makes the stitches inconsistent sizes.
It fuzzes up and looks messy.
It fuzzes and frays my floss.
It is so rough it tears my skin off.
In the above photo, if you look to the right of the piece of green floss, you will notice that the fabric is fuzzy/pilled. After scratching the skin off my index finger on the first project, I decided to rinse and wash this piece first to see if it would soften up. It did — but only a little. As I am working with it, it is wrecking my floss and I am hating how some rows of stitches are small and squished compared to other rows. Because of the thick/thin threads, it is also easy to “miss” and have to frog that stitch.
When I had a LNS, I was known for substituting everything with Zweigart linens. I have had fabric tear skin off worse than this one (Weeks Dye Works 30 count) but I do have VERY sensitive skin. Knitting yarn can tear it off. It is part of a hereditary medical condition that I have. If I bump or bang into something, goodbye, skin!
My stitches are fuzzy, inconsistent sizes, and that makes me unhappy. 😦 If it wasn’t for the fabric, I love everything else about this project. I have lots of aqua in my house so it is perfect.
I did a little bit of finishing this week, too.
This is a Lizzie Kate freebie that I stitched back in 2008. I had lots of issues finishing this one. I stitched it on Heatherfield which is partially man-made fibers, and the glue didn’t want to take. Sigh.
I stitched this one last year. It is in one of the Christmas Ornament issues of Just Cross Stitch, but it is not especially Christmas-y, so it is out on display. I was afraid to finish this one because things usually don’t go very well for me in that department.
Another project envelope (I made three this week.) I found this fabric as a remnant and loved it. I did not line up the pattern on purpose, but it worked out that way. ❤ Here it is opened:
The project envelopes and flat fold tutorials are by Vonna Pfeiffer aka The Twisted Stitcher. The link will bring you to her videos but be sure to check out her blog, too, for more ideas.
I am anxiously watching the western Caribbean as we may have a tropical storm in a few days. (My project-chopping son is now a meteorologist, but I think my husband and I are more interested in weather!) Meanwhile, I will be stitching as much as possible on my yucky fabric.